UVA's Supplier Diversity team maintains relationships with small and diverse business advocacy organizations, including:
- Virginia's Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD),
- the Metropolitan Business League,
- the Central Virginia Small Business Development Center,
- the Carolinas-Virginia Minority Supplier Development Council,
- the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO),
- the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC),
- the National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC),
- the Virginia Asian Chamber of Commerce,
- the Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce,
- the Charlottesville Chamber Business Diversity Council,
- the Virginia Procurement Technical Assistance Program,
- and the Central Virginia SCORE.
These groups offer wonderful support, networking, and business opportunities for their membership. Read more below!
BUSINESS CONSULTING AND DEVELOPMENT
The Central Virginia Small Business Development Center provides business consulting, training, and other resources to help Virginia businesses grow. Hosted by the Central Virginia Partnership for Economic Development, the Central SBDC serves Charlottesville and the counties of Albemarle, Fluvanna, Greene, Louisa, Nelson, and Orange.
MENTORING, TOOLS, AND TRAINING
SCORE is a nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship. They provide services at no charge or very low cost:
- Volunteer mentors who share their expertise across 62 industries
- Free, confidential business mentoring in person, via email or by video
- Free business tools, templates, and tips
- Inexpensive or free business workshops and webinars.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE FOR PROCUREMENT
The Virginia chapter of the Procurement Technical Assistance Center (PTAC) provides free and low-cost assistance to businesses that want to participate in the federal, state, or local procurement process.
Virginia PTAC can provide a variety of services, including:
- Basics like FAR, FBO, SAM, DSBS, and more
- WOSB, SDVOSB, GSA schedules application
- 8(a) certification
- Help with analysis and response to RFPs
- Pricing and compliance issues
You'll need to register as a client to take advantage of counseling services. Find more information on their website.